4/21/08

Candles: Old Virginia Candle Company Apple Vanilla Wax Melts


I enjoy candles. I like the way they look. I like burning them. I like the way they smell. So while I was looking at candles at the store the other day, I decided to try something a little different.

I bought a wax warmer.

It's a little building, or pot, that you put a tea light candle in the bottom of. The candle heats the top part, which is where you put the scented wax melts. It sounds much more complicated when you have to write it out like this, but it's very simple.

So I got a few different, I like to call them "flavors", wax melts to try out in my new set up. There are all different brands but the ones I am trying are Old Virginia Candle Company. I like their products and they are not as expensive as other name brands.

Apple Vanilla sounded absolutely delicious. I smelled the package and was convinced this was one I wanted. So when I got home I popped it in the pot and lit my "burner".

About 10 minutes later, I was less excited. The apple vanilla scent that won me over in the store became more of an earthy, dirt smell. This is not to say that someone may not like it, and it was not unbearable, but it was clearly not the smell of an ice cream cone in an apple orchard.

Pros:
It smelled nice in the package.

Cons:
There was a drastically different smell when it was melted.

Verdict:
Well, this scent for me, was a big miss. Candle and wax melt scents are always a gamble as the scent mixtures may not be the same from batch to batch. I would not recommend this particular scent, but I do recommend getting a wax melt warmer and trying out some scents that sound good to you.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so? what other 'flavors' did you try?
or are you trying to spread out the reviews?

Monster Bash Blog said...

this was a kosher snack for passover?

j/k!

my mom has a wax warmer and she swears by it...it is definitely safer than actually burning the candle, AND the candle lasts longer! what a deal!

i'm sad this candle didn't smell like apple pie with a big ol' scoop of vanilla ice cream.

I'll try that! said...

You caught me! Yes I am trying to spread them out, but I haven't tried all of the others yet. The scents are pretty strong, and they last quite a while unless you scoop it out. So, I will have at least 3 more scents reviewed, eventually :)