3/19/08

Candy: Skittles Chocolate Mix

Well, the good folks over at Skittles have decided to start making a "Chocolate Mix" of their popular candy. So, let's see how they did.

It's not a very appetizing way to start a candy review, but I simply cannot go without mentioning something. Skittles has the slogan: "Taste the Rainbow." So the first thing that pops into my head when I open this bag is, "What feces-infested sewer do you have to visit to see a rainbow made of different shades of brown?" Okay, glad I got that out of the way.

There are five flavors:

S'mores- These are flesh tone in color, and taste nothing like a s'more. They went a little heavy on the marshmallow flavor, and if the after taste is supposed to be graham cracker they are way off the mark. It almost tastes like what you would expect s'more flavored aspirin to taste like.

Vanilla- These are a nice creamy vanilla color, and the taste is exactly what you would expect. The word "vanilla" is sometimes used to describe something as bland and uninteresting, but there is nothing vanilla about the vanilla flavored Skittle. Does that make sense?

Chocolate Caramel- This might just be the worst flavor in the bag. I think Skittles knew it too, since there was only 7 in the bag. Something about it burns the back of my throat while I bite into it. By the end, it ends up tasting a little bit like caramel, but nothing like chocolate caramel. They must have been desperate to get another flavor in the bag.

Chocolate Pudding- First of all, half of the bag consisted of this flavor. It is a very dulled done version of chocolate pudding but after a few, you really have the taste in your mouth as if you were eating pudding.

Brownie Batter- The final flavor is almost black in color. And black is what you think of when you eat them since they taste like burnt brownies. Oddly enough, this still makes them the best flavor.

It was quite difficult to eat the entire package in one sitting which is absurd when talking about Skittles. I once ate a 16 ounce bag of the original flavors in a single night. So, I should know.

Pros:
Another new experiment in flavor from the Skittles people, there is an enormous list of Skittles flavors (Original, Wild Berry, Tropical, Carnival, Ice Cream, Smoothie, Sour) and the effort is appreciated.

Cons:
The flavors are hit or miss, and some are even hard to swallow.

Verdict:
-The only way you will know if you are going to like these is if you try them. The flavors are inconsistent. You shouldn't need to eat 5 of them before you can tell if you like it or not. But, some people may like that. So to break it down for you, I recommend you eat the things the flavors are based on if you have a real chocolate craving.
-If you want Skittles, pick another one of their many available flavor mixes.


3 comments:

Jim said...

I was really wondering about these. I'm so glad a service like "I'll Try That!" exists.

P.S: Did you fill out a March Madness bracket? I think I just like tournaments.

Monster Bash Blog said...

i think that if it were made by m&m's it'd be less disgusting sounding...something about skittles and chocolate just doesn't sit right with me..

thank you for trying it out though! speaking of you eating a 16 oz bag of skittles, i remember a time you ate an entire box of italian ices in one sitting as well...just a random thought.

SamZzz said...

I agree.. they were quite bland. I was expecting more from Skittles quite personally.